King Lizzard is a registered trademark #4,678,688
Guitar, Lead Guitar, Bass Guitar, Mandolin, Sitar, Keyboards, Drums. Except where noted, King Lizzard plays all instruments on all recordings and releases.
Why I Do What I Do:
“I write songs songs for the sheer joy of creation. If I’m not creating something then I must be destroying something. It’s the Yin and Yang of the artist. I write the songs that 20-30 years from now will be popular.
Q: Why don’t you play live shows?
A: If I can’t do them big and do them right I won’t do them at all. I won’t play bars and night clubs anymore.
Q: Why don’t you have more videos or videos of you performing?
A: The only performance videos I have are more than 15 years old and not the best quality. I’m working on doing more music videos.
“I went to film school to become a filmmaker, but destiny had other plans for me. So, instead of being a filmmaker, I became the Cecil B. DeMille of epic music.”
— King Lizzard
SIXTIES: The Formative Years
Born and raised in Detroit, MI, in the sixties. became very infused with Motown. Was in Detroit during the 1967 riots.
Born to country music songwriter and performer, Johnny Colmus. Johnny Colmus had is own television show in Michigan, wrote songs for Loretta Lynn and played for Patsy Cline.
He was raised by his grandparents and spent most of childhood in a wheelchair after a car accident.
SEVENTIES: The Hard Rock Years- GRAND CROSS
Moved to San Diego in 1973. Won a scholarship for acting along with Annette Bening. Aspired to be a filmmaker: went to film school, worshiped Kubrick and prayed at the grave of Cecil B. DeMille to become a great filmmaker. Formed Hard rock blues band Grand Cross in 1979.
EIGHTIES- Progressive Years- Legacy
In 1980 he formed the Pop Rock band, Legacy, which went on to open for Cheap Trick, Chuck Berry, Molly Hatchet and Heart. Disbanded in 1983, released one album, self-titled.
In 1987 he moved to Los Angeles. Mostly worked in the film industry as an actor. Played at the Whiskey on the Sunset Strip in 1989.
NINETIES: The “Space Lizard” Years- Electronica- LIVING KARMA
In 1997 he moved to Las Vegas and changed his name to King Lounge Lizzard. Formed the Techno Dance Rock Band, Anti-M, which was later renamed Living Karma. Released album The Sin City Symphony. Played at all major casinos and did a live TV show from the Imperial Palace.
TWO-THOUSANDS: The “King of Hell” Years-Heavy Metal- THE HEARTS OF DARKNESS BAND
Donned a robe, top hat and fangs and did heavy metal from 1999 to 2002. Released The Patient in Room 666. Played all major venues in Las Vegas, including the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. Married photographer Lana Gunn in 2001. Worked as radio talk show host from 2001-2004. Became an ordained Minister in 2004.
Last live show with the LV Rockers at The Beach in Las Vegas in 2004.
TWENTY-TENS: The “Space Cowboy Years”- Art Rock, Experimental- RAT MEETS LIZZARD and Solo
- King has clinically died three times
- During one of the deaths he was in a dark place with much pain and sorrow
- During one of his deaths he experienced total nothingness
- He follows Nichiren Buddhism and believes in reincarnation
- His maternal grandfather knew Jimmy Hoffa, in 1967 King met Hoffa
- As a child he was hit by a car while riding a bike, leaving him in a wheelchair most of his childhood
- His favorite band growing up was Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Monkees and the Rolling Stones
- In 5th grade he paid 4 kids to beat the shit out of a kid that had been bullying him
- His grandmother was a bailiff for the Wayne County Sheriffs (tough granny), his uncle did bodyguard detail for Nixon
- In his 20s King was out of control, getting drop down drunk, using drugs, frequenting brothels and getting into fights a…but he has never been arrested
- He outran a pursuing police motorcycle in San Diego in 1977
- He lived in Detroit during the 1967 riots and L.A. during the 1992 riots
- He has been held up at gunpoint twice, and managed to scare them away by acting bat-shit crazy
- He used to work at Tower Records on the Sunset Strip during it’s golden heyday of the 80s and 90s
- Has a measured IQ of 142 and is bat-shit crazy
King Lizzard Star in the Constellation Lacerta
In 2002 a star in the constellation of the lizard was named after King Lizzard. READ HERE
King Lizzard is a Gemini. Other Gemini musicians include Kanye West, Tupac Shakur, Biggie Smalls, Prince, Miles Davis, Brian Wilson (Beach Boys), Paul McCartney (Beatles), Matt Bellamy (Muse), Kendrick Lamar, Noel Gallagher (Oasis), Lionel Richie, Lenny Kravitz, Bob Dylan, André 3000, Azealia Banks, Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine), Danny Elfman, Alanis Morrissette, Morrissey, György Ligeti, Cole Porter, Richard Strauss, Edward Elgar, Richard Wagner, Edvard Grieg and Igor Stravinsky…